Monday, September 12

CREATIVE BOOKS I REACHED FOR @ UNI


It’s that time of the year again where uni is about to begin. Whether you are starting freshers, or are ready to tackle your final year, it’s an exciting time and one in which we should get stocked up on our supplies! This post covers some incredible books. They have helped me out in my uni days studying a creative course and hopefully they can help you out too!

I studied Graphic Design & Illustration at De Montfort University in Leicester and it was the best three years of my life (so far!); it was full of laughs and I saw myself and my style evolve into what we see today. These books where the material I reached for when completing briefs and in need of inspiration. For research and even just a nice color palette, I always had something that I could hold in my hands and browse through. Sometimes it’s nice to get direct inspiration than from a screen in front of you. I find there is something much more natural about it and it gives you more room to think and explore.






Out of all the books shown here, this one is the least exciting, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t useful! A Concise History has everything to do with (you guessed it) the history of graphic design. I works from the beginnings of visual communication up until the present day; from Bauhaus to Barbara Kruger. I often pinched this book off of my shelf when writing essays and my dreaded dissertation! This is a MUST HAVE.






Ellen Lupton’s books are always a good’un. Her writing is clear, concise and it’s super easy to get what she’s on about. Thinking With Type is all about Typography, for the font-goers out there I would 100% suggest purchasing this read. It has the basics of a typeface and some new fonts that you can always look up for inspiration. Lupton’s book teaches you how to use type properly and purposefully – it’s a winner.






I love Japanese and Eastern design. It is so playful, young and colorful, which is what I find most of my work aims to be. Having lived abroad in a Southeast Asian city I like to think I have picked up some of the visual language that coated the urban space and its way of life. Within one of the GIANT bookshops that my city offered I came across this absolute gem. Flyer Design is filled with bright, lively posters for Japanese films, exhibitions and festivals. This book isn’t for everyone as we all have our own specific tastes but to me, this book is awesome and one I often refer to for new ideas. (Also: this book is not in English, I use it primarily as a visual aid!)







If you love color and the wonderful texture of screen printing, this book is perfect. Mike Perry is a top-notch designer and a dab hand at the screen. This book is filled with wonderful examples of illustrators and designers that have used the medium to bring their work to life. Not a fan of screen printing? That’s okay too. This book gives inspiration of all sorts; from hand type to some delicate pen drawings, there is something in this book for any creative. I reached for Pulled when lacking in ideas and wanting to try something a bit different.








MAGAZINES:


It’s not always books that I take off of my shelf. Magazines are a definite go-to. They are affordable and super easy to get your hands on. The magazines in my collection I find the most visually stimulating are – Frankie; which is all about illustration, travel and craft. Lucky Peach; an interesting publication about food! And finally, Clash; a magazine directed towards music, film and fashion. All of these three publications have something different to offer. Frankie is calming, delicate and illustrative, whereas Clash goes for hard graphics, punky type and grungy imagery. I know that WHSmith has Frankie in pretty much 24/7, but Lucky Peach is a bit trickier to get your hands on. Clash can be found in record stores and other shops dedicated to music.


BOOKS THAT ARE NOT FEATURED BUT SHOULD BE CHECKED OUT:

I didn’t start using my university’s library until my final year, which is a shame because there is so much to read in there! I wish I had learnt to use it sooner. It has so much free material that really aids your learning and creative output. Here are some books that I took out and ones you should too.

HOW TO BE A GRAPHIC DESIGNER WITHOUT LOSING YOUR SOUL
BY ADRAIN SHAUGHNESSY


REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL – THE LIFE AND WORK OF BARNEY BUBBLES
BY PAUL GORMAN






If you have any reading suggestions, do let me know! I’m always after new and exciting material to take pride on my bookshelf.




No comments:

Post a Comment